Skinner’s Social Worker, Valerie Tomasi, plays an integral part in our Support Staff and provides students, parents, staff and community members with assistance and resources during times of emotional, mental, medical and financial hardship.
Ms. Tomasi collaborates with outside agencies, like Wellpower and Judi’s House, to offer various groups addressing emotional concerns that affect students’ academic and social functioning at school. These can include:
- Anxiety Management/Mindfulness
- Healthy Relationship Skills
- Grief and Loss
- and with our School Psychologist, they teach the SOS (Signs of Suicide) training for all 6th Graders
In addition, the Social Worker often addresses the following concerns:
- Students habitually arriving late to school
- Mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, school phobia, and anger/impulse control issues.
- Suicide and Self Harm prevention/intervention
- Threat Assessments
- Social/emotional issues arising out of the family environment
- Attendance concerns
- Financial hardship issues around basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter
- Behavioral issues that may be stemming from issues away from school and that don’t warrant a discipline referral, or as a step before a discipline referral